Robert K. Thompson, M.D.
JOINED PERIPHERAL VASCULAR ASSOCIATES IN 1990
- Joined Peripheral Vascular Associates in 1990
- Undergraduate: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, Bachelor of Science Mathematics, Cum Laude
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Tennessee College of Medicine, UT Center for Health Sciences, Memphis, Tennessee
- Peripheral Vascular Surgery Fellowship: Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas
- Chief General Surgical Resident & Administrative Chief: University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
- General Surgical Resident: University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas
- General Surgical Internship: University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas
- General Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
Societies and Organizations
- Bexar County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- Southern Association of Vascular Surgery
- Texas Society of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery Society
- Texas Surgical Society
- American College of Phlebology
Honors and Awards
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Vanderbilt University Academic Scholarship
- John Lott Memorial Scholarship – UT College of Medicine
- Imhotep Medical Honor Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- AOA Outstanding Graduate Award
- 1983 Intern of the Year Award – UTHSC Dept. of Surgery
- 1987 Resident Research Award – UTHSC Dept of Surgery
- Physician’s Recognition Award – American Medical Association 1993
- Who’s Who in Directory of Executives and Professionals
- Best Doctors San Antonio Magazine 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Williams JW, Peters TG, Haggitt R, Van Voorst S, Hickerson W, Patterson R, Thompson R. Cyclosporine A in orthotopic canine hepatic transplants. Journal of Surgical Research 1982; 32:576-585.
- Partial heterotopic liver transplantation in a canine mode of hepatic cirrhosis. Research project funded by University of Tennessee student research grant; 1982. Sponsor: Dr. Thomas Peters.
- Pediatric appendicitis – five year San Antonio experience. Presented to the Texas Surgical Society; May 1986. Sponsor: Dr. A. McFee.
- Exocrine function ablation in segmental pancreas transplantation by graft irradiation. Research project funded by University of Texas – San Antonio; 1987-88. Sponsor: Dr. C.T. Lum.
- Thompson RK, Lum CT, Davis JR, Knabel CE. Irradiation to reduce exocrine secretion in porcine segmental pancreas transplantation. Transplantation Proceedings 1988; 20(1) Supp. 1:906-907.
- Poster displayed at the International Transplant Forum, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 1987.
- Oral presentation at the Pancreas Club Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 1988.
- Resident Research Award – Presentation at J.B. Aust Surgical Society Meeting, June 1988.
- Thompson RK, Lum CT, Davis JR, Tio FA, Knabel CE, Aust JB. Ablation of acinar function with preservation of islets in a pig segmental pancreas transplant model. Diabetes 1989; 38 Supp. 1:242.
- Thompson RK, Peters JI, Sirinek KR, Levine BA. Von-Hippel-Lindau syndrome presenting as pancreatic endocrine insufficiency: a case report.Surgery 1989; 105:598-604.
- Thompson RK. Lasers in general surgery, book review. Journal of Vascular Surgery 1990; 11(3):482.
- Traumatic popliteal arterio-venous fistula: case report and literature review. Presented to the San Antonio Vascular Surgery Society; October 1991.
- Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome presenting as acute lower extremity ischemia. Presented to the Texas Surgical Society; April 10, 1999.
- Contemporary Management of Varicose Veins. Presented to the Baptist Peripheral Vascular Update, 2011.
- Management of Varicose Veins in a Third World Country. Presented to the Baptist Peripheral Vascular Update, 2012.