PVA and Life Line Screening Partner to Promote Prevention of Chronic Disease
Steve, a recently retired 66-year-old man, saw a Life Line Screening package advertised on TV and decided to make an appointment to schedule the five preventive health screenings offered in the commercial. In February, Steve’s results showed a partial blockage in his right carotid artery and he was advised to visit his primary doctor who referred him to a vascular surgeon. The vascular surgeon ordered a magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA), which is a noninvasive test useful in defining the anatomy of blood vessels in the head and neck. The MRA results confirmed Steve’s carotid artery was 75% blocked. At the time, Steve said he felt great, was not diabetic, and had regular blood pressure levels; he thought the Life Line Screenings were merely a small investment to be proactive about his health.
Today, Steve is recovering from a successful carotid endarterectomy, and his vascular surgeon is pleased with the results of the vascular treatment procedure. “He said I had soft plaque which has a greater propensity for stroke [but] I was asymptomatic and felt great,” Steve notes.
“My advice to anyone over the age of 60 is to get this screening done. It was the best return on investment in my life.”
There are over eight million others like Steve who have been screened by Life Line Screening, the nation’s largest provider of preventive health screenings, since 1993. Their goal is to help people age 50+ understand their risk for stroke, vascular disease, and aneurysms. Identifying risks before symptoms occur allows those who are at risk to take action and potentially prevent chronic disease.
Peripheral Vascular Associates (PVA) is proud to partner with Life Line Screening and encourage patients to visit their website and learn more about their health screening services. Life Line Screening hosts regular screening events in communities across the nation, and these events help thousands of people each year to identify health problems early enough for their physicians to take action.
“Life Line Screening’s combine preventive screenings with PVA’s diagnostic and treatment abilities to create a continuity of care that works to keep people healthy and independent for as long as possible,” said Dr. Daniel Tamez, a vascular surgeon with PVA.
Life Line’s Provided Screenings Include:
- Carotid Artery Screening (Plaque) – a painless, non-invasive Doppler ultrasound used to identify plaque buildup in the carotid arteries, a major risk factor for stroke
- Atrial Fibrillation Screening (Afib) – a quick and easy test using an ECG machine to identify irregular heart rhythm. Individuals with atrial fibrillation have a five-fold increased risk of stroke.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening – an Ultrasound is used to identify enlargement (aneurysm) of the abdominal aorta, the largest artery in the body. Only 25% of patients with a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm survive until they reach the hospital
- Peripheral Arterial Disease Screening – uses a measurement called the ‘Ankle-Brachial Index’ to evaluate the systolic pressure in the ankle and arm and detect peripheral arterial disease in lower extremities. P.A.D. sufferers have a 4-6 fold increased risk of cardiovascular disease
- Osteoporosis Screening – an Ultrasound is used to identify abnormal bone density of the heel in both men and women. The heel is used because it is similar in composition to the hip, where disabling fractures often occur
“We are committed to helping people prevent chronic disease in addition to providing treatment, and this partnership is an important part of that commitment,” said PVA vascular surgeon Dr. Michael Peck.
“For 4 out of 5 people who had a stroke, their first symptom is a stroke”, says Nathalie Garbani, Director of Clinical Quality at Life Line Screening. “The time to screen is before people start experiencing any symptoms. By then it may be too late to prevent chronic disease.”
To pre-register for a screening or to obtain more information, visit Life Line Screening at www.lifelinescreening.com or call (877) 557-7497. Mark your calendars for upcoming screening events coming to communities near you:
- May 3, 2018 at 9:00AM – St. Leonards Church, 8510 S Zarzamora St., San Antonio, TX 78224
- May 4, 2018 at 9:00AM – Crossroads Baptist Church, 8300 Tezel Rd., San Antonio, TX 78254
- May 14, 2018 at 9:00AM – Living Hope Church, 603 Frey St., Boerne, TX 78006
- May 18, 2018 at 9:00AM – Church of Reconciliation, 8900 Starcrest Dr., San Antonio, TX 78217
- May 25, 2018 at 9:00AM – VFW Post 8936, 3001 Guadalupe St., San Antonio, TX 78207
- May 30, 2018 at 9:00AM- Olympia Hills Golf and Conference Center, 12900 Mount Olympus, Universal City, TX 78148