Proper Foot Care – Avoiding Amputation
During this time of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are certain health conditions that cannot, and should not, be placed on the back burner. One of them being proper foot care for diabetics.
Unfortunately, San Antonio has double the national average of diabetics. And many diabetics have wounds that do not heal due to lack of blood circulation to the legs and feet which can be detrimental to their health. So much so that if diabetics are not treated properly and in a timely manner, amputation could be the end result.
At PVA, our goal is to manage and treat vascular disease so that amputation is the last alternative.
Our vascular surgeons can provide information on:
- What patients need to be on the lookout for
- The Do’s and Don’ts of proper foot care for diabetics
- Of the 1.6 million Americans with limb loss, 54% were due to vascular conditions such as diabetes and PAD.
- The Amputation Coalition estimates that 60% of vascular-related amputations are preventable.
- The issue is that patients are not seeking treatment early or at all.
Proper foot care is vital in the prevention of amputation.
Call us at 210.237.4444 to make an appointment.